So here is a half-finished feature I’ve added to the main menu for Democracy 3. It’s a chart showing the last 50 election wins you had in the game, with the icons representing the countries you were playing at the time, and they are printed onto a left/right liberal/conservative axis so you can see what the state of the nation was at the time. In a way, this is a clue to your own political opinions and prejudices, as presumably you will gently be nudging all the countries in a similar direction.

compass

Next up: finding a way to populate the chart with the average positions of any of your steam friends who are also playing the game…

10 Responses to “The Democracy 3 Compass”

1. Xietanu says:

I really like this. Looks great, and could well be really interesting to see the results.

2. Sam says:

Minor request: can you flip the vertical axis so it’s the same way around as http://www.politicalcompass.org?

3. Sam says:

Awesome. Thanks.

4. Wouter Lievnes says:

Cliff: minor typo… what’s a “mosue”? :-)

5. Jarmo says:

“Next up: finding a way to populate the chart with the average positions of any of your steam friends who are also playing the game”

I fear this is a potential privacy issue. Maybe a player doesn’t want others to see that information? Say I’m a closet communist anarchist and I don’t want my banker friends to know about it but I’d like to live out that fantasy in the game. Seeing the results of that could out me. There should at least be an opt out option.

Yeah there will be an opt-out button for it on the options screen, don’t worry :D

7. Jarmo says:

Ok, great, thanks for the reply!

8. Alex Davies says:

With this plan to send my position to my friends – how is this affected if I role-play games?

For example, in Democracy 2 I’ve had fun pretending to be a tyrant, or maxing out religion, or preventing global warning, or being fully free-market.

So would the game send my ‘average’ position over the course of many games? Or perhaps, at the end of each game, I could have the option to publish my stats *just for that one,* complete with the leader’s name, position and achievements.

I have added the option to just not send leaderboards, and the way this works right now is if you toggled that off before playing a game, it would ignore that game from the POV of posting your compass position until you toggled it back on and started a new game.