Back working on actual work…

February 21, 2010 | Filed under: business

So…. for the past few days I’ve been distracted by various things. The largest distraction was the arrival of my new PC. Hurrah! First one in three years. I can now check everything under Windows 7, 64 bit with ATI, which were the three missing links in my compatibility testing.

Of course installing a new PC means NOTHING works. It means working out why perforce won’t set its environment variables on Windows 7. It means remembering where the hell I put my precious Office 97 install CD (I refuse to pay money to upgrade ms office when office 97 does everything I need :D). And it means working out how to re-cable part of the house so that I can move the router into the office.

Bah.

But now it all works! and I am back in action working on actual work stuff. For the rest of today and tomorrow I will be playtesting the new GSB expansion pack. Expect screenshots shortly before release, hopefully mid-week. Everything seems bug free, it’s just a matter of play-balancing now. Phew!

Oh and I’ve been building a log store to store the wood that keeps our house less-cold:

9 Responses to “Back working on actual work…”

1. anon says:

Try Open Office sometimes :)

2. Fargo says:

Indeed Cliff, ditch Office completely. Especially if you’re just using Word and Excel, OpenOffice is great. Extensible, regularly updated, just a download instead of a disc, and free unless you feel like contributing.

3. jpinard says:

Tease!!! I came here today hoping to see you were in the process of releasing the expansion today :)

4. Moose says:

If that’s what your boats looked like, I can see why you don’t build them any more.

5. Andrew Killam says:

I am looking forward to the new expansion pack … especially since I finally figured out how to make the Tribe effective. Time for something new!

I can’t recall what Office 97 lacked vs 2000 or XP, but if you find it dated, try Symphony: http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home

6. Novack says:

Google Apps (docs, calc and presentations) is also very cool.

7. Him says:

Assuming you went with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition: Windows XP Mode + Office ’97
    (Or failing that, vmware and a VM of Windows prior to 7/Vista)

8. toby says:

busy man.

Like the log store, just got round to sweeping the chimney in our 130yr old terraced house. Although not enough room for a log store, will have to make do with a small pile and a waterproof sheet.

Glad to hear yr at playtesting stage, I’ve yet to get some decent gametime in since the last patch as I’ve been busy and spare time has been spent watching the Babylon 5 collection I brought recently, that was a great series :o)

9. hermitC says:

Love that photo. It is like “it’s not finished yet (the house), but hey: the log store is ready!”. Agile home development…