Website experiment #3 red vs blue

February 26, 2011 | Filed under: business

Red buttons are NOT better than blue buttons. I have hard data for my gratuitous space battles index page demo button:

In fact they are much worse:
original
variation

Nothing beats hard data. Extrapolating from this is probably less helpful, given that my page is mostly blue so it might have ‘jarred’ but I had guessed that might be a good thing. it wasn’t.

16 Responses to “Website experiment #3 red vs blue”

1. Garry says:

These stats, I’m interested, do you see much difference if you change nothing?

2. David Amador says:

@Garry he changed the Download Demo button color, check the page more below

3. Jim says:

What about the fact that you made the red button text off center and therefore less appealing? I would not say this is a valid test.

4. Simon says:

I love all these experiments that you’re doing and thanks for sharing your results. Have you tried moving the demo button above the fold?

5. Jeremy says:

As Simon says, you definitely need a download button above the fold. Once you’ve tested that to your desired degree of statistical significance you may the want to try a puncture red button (the button doesn’t really stand out in red as you had it) and/or a green button (as green is one of the main colours people expect to see for download buttons.)

6. Jeremy says:

Damn iOS typo correction/addition (usually addition, sadly): where I seem to have said ‘puncture’ a meant punchier.

7. FishFPG says:

At what point on the graph exactly did you switch to the Red Button? And how did the two graphs compare before the switch?

8. Meepmeepmeep says:

You might want to test the download button with a dark background versus a bright blackground. To me the red one is brighter and i need to squint a bit to reach as clear a visual focus as the blue one gives me when just looking normally.

9. Mike says:

I’m red/blue colorblind, you insensitive clod!

10. CountVlad says:

What would be uber-cool, cliff, is if you could have a row of buttons along the top of the page that you could click on to ‘choose your side’ and the graphics and colours would change to faction colours and ships. It could probably be done reasonably easily with CSS.

11. Fraser says:

Aww, shame.

Thanks for sharing the results though! I wonder why Red outperformed Green on that other survey…

12. Garry says:

@David – I understand that – what I’m getting at is.. where’s the control? Would the stats be noticeably different if you changed nothing and sampled 2 random groups exactly the same.

13. Aaron says:

My impression is that the red coontrasts too much. In the context of the calm, blue site it seems sort of scary and negative.

14. Aggy says:

Small sample size, short time period and even the tool you’re using suggests the data is inconclusive at this point – not really ‘hard data’.

I dig what you’re trying to do, it just seems like all you’ve really determined at this point is ‘changing stuff might give different conversion rates, perhaps.’

well it makes me happy.

16. Iain says:

Not meaning to sound flippant because I didn’t actual see the red button but have you compared blue to orange?
    Orange might have the right tones for visual and psychological aesthetics
    Plus it’s different enough to the rest of your theme to stand out